Monday, August 2, 2010

Strawberry Basil Ice Cream

We had some strawberries in the garden and I was tired of just eating them ON things (like cereal and cake), so I decided to make ice cream with them. I also have a ton of basil, so thought I would add that to the ice cream too. It was spectacular! Here's the recipe:


2 cups fresh strawberries mascerated in the juice from 1/2 lemon and a 1/2 cup of sugar
5 to 6 large basil leaves, chiffon style
1 can sweetened condensed milk
6 whole eggs
2 egg yolks
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 qt heavy whipping cream
1 pint half and half
Whole Milk

Combine the condensed milk, eggs, extract, whipping cream, and half and half until thick. Add strawberries and basil leaves. Add to your ice cream container; add whole milk to fill line. Follow your ice cream maker's instructions. I make mine in the early morning so it has all day to harden up in the freezer.

No comments: