Thursday, July 29, 2010

Gourmet a la hot coals in a fire pit


Every Sunday this summer we are going up Millcreek Canyon, near Salt Lake City, Utah. I'm trying to make some of the meals a little fancier than the basic hamburgers and hot dogs. This last Sunday, I decided to make a yummy pasta salad and cook salmon in the fire - or at least, the hot coals from the fire - no flame.


I buttered the first layer of foil and laid down two filets of sockeye salmon, skin side down. I rubbed a little more butter on the fish and sprinkled with sea salt and black pepper. Then I covered all of the exposed fish with fresh dill - about a cup. Over the dill, I neatly laid thinly sliced lemon. I wrapped up the fish in the first layer of foil leaving an open slit on the top. Finally, I wrapped the fish in another, larger layer of foil to completely enclose and seal it in.

We just laid the foil packet, skin side up first, on top of the hot coals. After about 10 minutes, we turned the packet over and cooked for 15 more minutes. It was very moist and freshly flavorful! The pasta salad had rotini, cucumber, capers, red onion, lemon peel, mayonnaise, sour cream, champagne vinaigrette, sugar and pepper.


No comments: