Thursday, July 29, 2010

In a pinch - Vegan and Celiac

I had a party to go to last Monday night. It was for a friend-of-a-friend's birthday. He (the guest of honor) is vegan AND celiac. We needed to bring something to share. I had 45 minutes to clean up my house (because it would drive me crazy to come home to a messy one) and come up with something tasty to share. My idea was hummus and Fritos.


Yes. This would work and people would probably eat it, but it wouldn't live up to my own expectations. I know I could do better. So I didn't make just any regular old hummus, and I don't even know if some would still consider it to be a true hummus as I didn't add any sesame paste at all. (aka tahini)

So, I roasted a whole head of garlic in a little bit of olive oil for about 20 minutes. Cut a whole branch from my basil plant, one small sprig of freshly cut rosemary, and two large sage leaves (fresh, of course). I cleaned them and removed the stems. In my food processor, I added two cans of drained chickpeas/garbonzo beans, the roasted garlic, all the herbs, about 10 sundried tomato halves, sea salt, and started the blending. Through the lid, I added enough olive oil to eventually turn these ingredients into a smooth spread. I let the food processor continue to work for about 5 minutes to ensure that all of the fresh herbs were completely incorporated and fine.

I served it with fresh diced tomatoes on top and surrounded by - well, Fritos.

No comments: