Friday, July 23, 2010

Making Salsas

Our garden has been producing a lot of peppers, so what else could I do but make salsa? Unfortunately, our tomatoes aren't quite ready yet, so I bought two large containers worth of on the vine romas. We also have a lot of radishes and parsley.

I wanted a blend of roasted and fresh items in the salsas, so roasted half of the tomatoes, one yellow onion, all the garlic and fresh peppers. I had a jar and a half of roasted red bell peppers and half a jar of red cherry peppers.


I made six varying degrees of heat salsas.


Roasted Garlic - The obvious whole head of roasted garlic and fresh parsley.
Cherry Pepper - Six sweet cherry peppers with seeds and fresh parsley.
Medium - Salsa Pepper, 2 Hot Banana Peppers, and fresh parsley.
Hot - 5 radishes, 2 Hot Banana Peppers, a Serrano and fresh parsley. (Not seeded)
Fire - 5 radishes, 2 Serrano, 2 Jalapeno, 1 Habanero, and fresh parsley. (Not seeded)
Are You Out Of Your Mind? - 2 Hot Banana, a Anaheim, 2 Habanero, and fresh parsley. (Not seeded)

I'm personally too afraid to taste the hotter three, so will leave that to my husband who absolutely loves hot, spicy food. I'm have a party here tomorrow and will use the Medium salsa in a black bean dip with extra sharp cheddar cheese.

No comments: